We all know this Hawaiian hulk as Khal Drogo and Aquaman. Here’s how Jason Momoa got jacked for some of his signature roles.
Momoa says that it really comes down to his lifestyle and diet. Momoa got in shape for Aquaman a little differently than just lifting and running. He attended a climbing gym to work out practically every muscle imaginable. He would climb with his trainer 2-3 times each week but he also managed to keep his social life too.
It’s well known that Momoa likes Guinness… like a lot. He says that it’s something that he couldn’t give up no matter what. Now if Conan the Barbarian (2011) can manage his social life and workout then so can you. The main tip here is pretty simple, know what, when, and how much you are eating. More importantly, know how it affects you. Cut out fatty foods and foods with high sodium as much as you can, but don’t be afraid to treat yourself.
Momoa actually says this was an important part of his diet, letting himself be natural within the terms of his diet… mostly drinking Guinness (isn’t that awesome though?).
He also balanced his lifting workouts with his climbing workouts. He made sure to not overdue his weightlifting and balanced his climbing to not fatigue himself. It’s important to notice that climbing works the back, shoulders, biceps, forearms, and legs. As a matter of fact, he would climb and then train back and biceps after climbing to overload them. This freed up other days to focus on chest and legs. Here’s the chest workout he did to get superhero pecks to play Aquaman:
Bench Press Triset (5 rounds)
Incline bench press: Lie on an incline bench, with a barbell overhead, your arms about shoulder-width apart. The bar should be about 70% of your one-rep max. Lower the bar to your chest, then lift it back up. That’s 1 rep; do 6.
Standing dumbbell press: Stand holding two dumbbells at your shoulders. Tighten your core and press the dumbbells overhead, then lower them back to shoulder height. That’s 1 rep; do 12. Use a weight heavy enough to challenge you by the 8th rep.
Pushup: You know this one: Start in a high plank position, then keep your core tight as you bend your arms to lower your chest nearly to the ground. Return to high plank position. Do 24 reps. Too easy? Do the pushups with your arms on rings instead.
If you ever get discouraged during your workout, maybe Momoa’s motto can help you get through it: “It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun.” The best advice is to try and make it fun, and you’ll be shredded and happy in no time.
- Training Days: 6 days
- Duration: 4 to 6 months
- Training level: Intermediate
- Rest: 90 sec between sets
- Protein Intake: 1g of protein per pound of body weight
- Calorie Intake: 20 or 30% more
- Fat Intake: 0.5 gram per pound of body weight
- Sleep: 8 hrs
In this Jason Momoa’s Aquaman Workout routine we are following
In this Jason Momoa’s Aquaman Workout routine we are following pyramid training in ascending triangle mode. So on successive sets you should load more weight while decreasing reps.
That is, throughout this workout plan do 3 sets with 12-10-8 reps.
Daily Workout Schedule
- Day 1 ( Monday): Chest
- Day 2 (Tuesday): Biceps and Abs
- Day 3 (Wednesday): Cardio and Back
- Day 4 (Thursday): Shoulder
- Day 5 (Friday): Triceps and Abs
- Day 6(Saturday): Cardio and Legs
- Day 7(Sunday): Rest Day
Monday – Chest
- Warm up – 5 minutes
- Flat Bench Press
- Incline Bench Press
- Decline Bench Press
- Flat dumbbell bench press
- Incline dumbbell bench press
- Dumbbell flys
- Plate press
Tuesday – Biceps and Abs
- Warm up – 5 minutes
- Barbell Curls
- Hammer Curls
- Alternate arm dumbbell curls
- Preacher Curls
- Close grip cable curls
- One arm Cable curls/ Cable concentration curls (anyone among these two)
- Over head cable curls
- Hanging leg raise 15-15-10-10
- Decline crunch 20-20-20
- Standing cable wood chop 20-20-20
Wednesday – Cardio and Back
- Cardio 20 min (walking, elliptical)
- Wide grip lat pull down
- Cable row
- Barbell row
- Dumbbell row
Warm up – 5 minutes
- Barbell military press
- Arnold press
- Lateral raise
- Front Raise
- Bent Over Dumbbell Rear Delt Raise
- Barbell Shrug
- Dumbbell shrug
- Cable upright row
Friday – Triceps and Abs
- Warm up – 5 minutes
- Close grip barbell bench press
- Skull Crusher
- Over head cable triceps extension
- Cable triceps push down
- One arm dumbbell extension
- Reverse arm cable triceps push down, One arm tricep Dumbbell Kickback (anyone among these two)
- Barbell roll out on knees 20-20-20
- Kneeling cable pull down 20-20-20
- Bicycle crunch 20-20-20
- Side Plank – 60 seconds each.
Saturday – Cardio and Legs
- Cardio – 20 min (walking, elliptical)
- Leg Extension
- Lying Leg Curls
- Leg Press
- Hack squat
- Dumbbell Lunge
- Seated Calf Raise
- Standing Calf Raise